Thursday, August 6, 2009

Our Summer Trip Synopsis



We just finished an amazing summer trip!

I was trying to decide the best way to share all we did. My first thought was to create a "snapshot" overview with a photo that highlighted each major event. Alas, I have too many fun photos.

Next I thought I would create a collage for each event and include a brief outline as a single post - with details to come when I got around to it. After assembling half of the collages I realized it would never fit into one post - and certainly wouldn't be brief.

Soooo....

I decided to create this synopsis of our trip - with no details. I'll follow up with a post for the major stops/events later. These future posts will mostly be for the benefit of the kids and I, so please excuse me if I get a bit indulgent with the photos:)

Summer Trip:
1 - Visit from Christina and her family, including a beach camp out on Mustang Island.
2 - Leave Seguin; head to Denton, Texas to spend night with Maaike Linton and family.
3 - Meet up with Christina in Amarillo, Texas and caravan to Thornton, Colorado to spend 3 days with Lysa and her family.
4 - Leave Colorado; caravan to Utah. Christina heads to Idaho while we head south to Highland, Utah to spend a week with Allen's family.
5 - Drive from Highland to Yellowstone National Park in Montana. Camp and tour for two days with much of Jen's family.
6 - Head south to Rigby, Idaho to spend 3 weeks with Jen's family and attend wedding of Marc and Suzanne.
7 - Leave Idaho and drive to Cedar City, Utah for night with Stacey and family. Stop for lunch with grandparents in Highland, Utah.
8 - Drive to Page, Arizona to camp 2 nights with Cindy and family. Spend day at Grand Canyon National Park.
9 - Begin "official" drive home with stopover at hotel in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Total time: 6 weeks
Total miles driving: 5350 (from time we left Seguin in step 2)
Total miles driving with Allen: 0 (due to lack of space in car he had to fly - 8 people and 7 seat belts)
Total things that broke in that 6 weeks: Well....that's another story.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jen said...

the summer trip was the best! i loved it when we had endless days together!
-abi

Jen said...

I never got to the things that broke during our trip...can't even remember them all.

A few I do remember:
- back door on minivan - latch snapped
- sliding door on minivan
- battery for minivan
- outside freezer at home did auto-defrost, spoiling all contents and creating quite a mess for Allen to clean

- washer machine sprung a leak, which flooded laundry room and caused short to outside freezer causing the auto-defrost, which created quite a mess for Allen to clean
- air conditioner went out 1st night that Christina's family came. Made for a hot, humid house filled with 11 children

If I remember more I'll post them too.