Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Swooping...Soaring...Hunting

I was doing laundry this morning around 6:30am. I looked out the window to enjoy the sunrise - the day was barely dawning. I saw dozens of dark little shapes darting about. Too early for birds. I took a closer look and saw that our garden was being visited by tons of swooping, soaring, hunting bats. Yea bats! (I greatly dislike mosquitoes.)

Gabriel checked out back and front and it was the same scene. Gabriel and I went to hang out on the back patio to enjoy our little visitors. The bats were joined by some early birds that were either swooping to chase or hunt the bats - or to hunt whatever insect the bats were hunting.

They were flying really low so we were able to get a good look at them. I would say there were about 40 bats hunting at our house this morning.

(Obviously not as many as at the "bat bridge" in Austin - but definitely a fun sight right in your own backyard.)

3 comments:

Christina said...

Oh! That sounds so awesome! What a sight to see!

The Fullmers said...

so next time grab a bag of mini marshmallows and go outside and throw them one at a time as high as you can. The bats will dive and catch them. they love them.

Jen said...

Ha! I forgot about that. We used to throw marshmallows at mom's bats all the time. I'll have to remember for next time.

Hmmm...wonder what would happen if we threw mini-marshmallows at the 1.5 million bats emerging from the Austin bridge.....