
It's Compost Day at the Coleman house. Every few years we hitch up the trailer and drive over to Gonzales, Texas to pick up a load of mushroom compost. The stuff is hot and very stinky but it is absolute gold to my garden.
I have a love-hate relationship with compost day. I LOVE the way this stinky stuff transforms my dry, nutrient drained dirt into the most rich, healthy soil that grows super veggies. I hate the way my poor, pitiful body aches after hours of shoveling, raking, hauling, tilling, etc. It really is a full day of hard work - and that is when dad and the girls are there to help out, which this year they weren't. So yesterday Gabriel, Simon, Oliver and I tackled the project alone. We did pretty well. We got the garden and all the fruit trees/vines composted yesterday. Today's project: tackle those terrible front beds finish the front yard.
A side note: I walked outside this morning and caught a whiff of the stuff. Pe-ew! My poor neighbors are probably wondering what ill wind blew that stink in. Hahaha...

Oliver spreading out the compost.

So much to do... My poor beds in the background of the photos...they look so dry and empty since the dirt level is so low. Contrast that to the next set of photos.

Beautiful! This year I wasn't going to get compost so I planted some of my beds already. Since I couldn't till the compost in I decided to put it down the rows beside the veggies. It filled in the beds nicely, will feed as it is watered in, and when I clear the beds I can finally till it in the rest of the way. Hopefully it works the way I imagine it should. The far right photo is my herb/strawberry garden. I love using fresh herbs - can't figure out why it took me this many years to discover that...
Now it's off to work - gotta finish that front yard.
I have a love-hate relationship with compost day. I LOVE the way this stinky stuff transforms my dry, nutrient drained dirt into the most rich, healthy soil that grows super veggies. I hate the way my poor, pitiful body aches after hours of shoveling, raking, hauling, tilling, etc. It really is a full day of hard work - and that is when dad and the girls are there to help out, which this year they weren't. So yesterday Gabriel, Simon, Oliver and I tackled the project alone. We did pretty well. We got the garden and all the fruit trees/vines composted yesterday. Today's project: tackle those terrible front beds finish the front yard.
A side note: I walked outside this morning and caught a whiff of the stuff. Pe-ew! My poor neighbors are probably wondering what ill wind blew that stink in. Hahaha...

Oliver spreading out the compost.

So much to do... My poor beds in the background of the photos...they look so dry and empty since the dirt level is so low. Contrast that to the next set of photos.

Beautiful! This year I wasn't going to get compost so I planted some of my beds already. Since I couldn't till the compost in I decided to put it down the rows beside the veggies. It filled in the beds nicely, will feed as it is watered in, and when I clear the beds I can finally till it in the rest of the way. Hopefully it works the way I imagine it should. The far right photo is my herb/strawberry garden. I love using fresh herbs - can't figure out why it took me this many years to discover that...
Now it's off to work - gotta finish that front yard.

No comments:
Post a Comment