Thursday, July 15, 2010

Miss Manners




I put this on facebook but wanted to elaborate...
I love how Amelia's verbal skills are developing. She is famous for going around saying "Meese Me" (translation = excuse me) to anyone that is in her way. And someone is always in her way. Then she waits patiently as you move - sometimes. She has such a sweet little toddler voice - love it.

Tonight at dinner she ran out of food so she said, "Pass chicken". 1st time I've heard such a request.

Amelia is also a great kitchen helper - she loves to wash dishes (and herself in the process), sweep the floor, set and clear the table, unload the dishwasher, stir the food, and see and touch EVERYTHING. Only problems with broken dishes or spills occur when other kids try to thwart Amelia in her helping. If left alone to work she does a beautiful job.




She is also a perfect little "parrot" - she tries to mimic everything that is said. She can often be quite talkative. If another child is talking to me, especially an in-depth description, Amelia will interrupt with repetitions of the words and phrases she catches. She does this so seriously, as if she was the one telling me the story in the first place. She will even step in front of the other child to get my full attention.

One more thing...

Amelia's shoe fetish. Amelia has a thing for shoes, mostly flip-flops, but she'll take anything - literally. She goes around and puts on mismatched shoes and walks around. She began this in earnest when Christina's family was here - so imagine the possibilities of combinations. I didn't even really notice it much until Christina asked me where her shoes were and said, "I fully hold your daughter responsible" - it was then I realized why I was finding strange pairings of shoes in strange places...my bathroom, kids rooms, part way up the stairs, in the middle of a walkway, etc. This is something she does multiple times a day - so if we are missing a shoe we just have to think of the places Amelia has been lately and we are likely to find it, plus a random friend.


Ok - one last thing in contrast to the title of this post...
There are definitely times when Amelia is not a little miss manners. There are times when she gets busted doing something she knows is wrong. At these times she will make a big, toothy grin and squint her eyes and smile at me. Oh how I wish I could capture that look on camera...

No comments: