Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Best Laid Plans...

So...We are sitting at breakfast Monday after an absolutely BEAUTIFUL weekend of near 80 degree weather, and Allen starts reading about a winter storm warning.

It said things like:
- arctic air mass
- 0 degrees with wind chill
- snow

I was waiting to hear which of our family members would be bracing for this storm while we continued to enjoy our very spring-like days....I waited....and waited.... And then it dawned on me he was reading about OUR winter storm warning. Wait - What? Don't we live in South Texas?

Now, I will admit that 0 degrees WITH wind chill isn't much of a winter warning for most of my family members and IF we get snow it will probably be a dusting. But for some reason such a HUGE shift in weather left me speechless. (Did I emphasize how beautiful the weather had been?)

So I went about making some preparations. I decided to go to the grocery store Monday instead of later in the week so I wouldn't have to take the baby out in freezing temps, sleet, or snow. (After all, wait a week and it will be warm again.) But my dear Amelia woke with a high fever - so that was out.

Then I spent a few hours prepping our yard for such a chill. I covered my herb garden and delicate little orange tree in an attempt to help them survive. I also covered my winter garden. Even though those veggies are cold hardy I am not sure they are THAT cold hardy. I deep watered my tiny apricot trees so the roots wouldn't freeze in hopes that they might actually produce this year.

My brilliance in doing this was to complete my work on Monday afternoon, when it was still sunny and warm with a balmy breeze blowing. Unfortunately, a strong thunderstorm rolled in around 2 a.m. leaving me both without sleep and needing to re-do all my outside work (except the watering of course).

I just stepped back inside and let me tell you that it is quite nippy out there! Not "light sweater and flip flop" weather - which was what I was wearing. Working in the freezing, blustery cold is what I was hoping to avoid. However, I am pleased to report that my garden beds are now nicely tucked back under their covers and hopefully will stay that way as the temps are only going to drop from here on - so I would rather not have to go back out.

No comments: