Monday, September 7, 2009

Sand and Surf

Photos and a few video clips from our day at the beach on Mustang Island. This was after Gabriel's cross country meet in Corpus. (Labor day weekend)

One story I want to share:
We go to the beach a couple of times a year. Each time we seem to have a new experience. Sometimes we go alone; sometimes we go with extended family. Sometimes we have hot, sunburn weather; sometimes it is torrential rain. Sometimes we get stung by jellyfish, or just see 20+ dead ones washed up on shore. Sometimes the seaweed isn't too bad; sometimes it is stinky, rotten, and 3 feet tall. Sometimes we camp, or do a day trip, or stay in a vacation home. There is always something different.
This time a few of us had a chance to SWIM WITH SHARKS!
Allen, Katrina and Abagail were jumping waves when Abagail stubbed her toe on something quite substantial. Then Katrina felt something whack into her back. There was a small 3 foot shark hunting in the shallows between the family and the shore. It looked pretty impressive even from where I was standing. A bit later on another shark came and swam around by Allen and the kids for a bit. The girls said dad was considering trying to catch it...hmmm...sounds about right :)
I talked to the park ranger and he said that small sharks are very common in the area. The rangers don't worry about them since they usually don't bother people.
It still made for a cool story - the girls are excited to tell their friends. I think I am glad I happened to be on shore.
One more new experience: This was the FIRST time we didn't have pesky seagulls hovering around us. I'm not sure why - they were around other places. They just left us alone. It was nice.




Posted by Picasa




This video is of Ollie's new kite. He was so excited to pick it out at the store. He also chose kites for his brothers and sisters. The other kites came 2 in a package. Unfortunately mom didn't read the fine print. There were 2 kites in the package - 1 was regular size, 1 was a perfect size for a barbie doll. It was teeny, tiny. Katrina thought it was cool though and was quick to claim the mini kite.


Allen and the kids played in the waves forever. Even though it was cloudy the water was perfect temperature. Added bonus: no sunburns, except for Allen's shoulders...




This little video cracks me up...poor Amelia.

Gabriel and Katrina body surfing.

Simon is such a great big brother. He would lift Oliver up to help him jump over the bigger waves.


This video clip shows cutie Amelia trying so hard to play with her big brothers and sisters. The kids had been making Amelia her own mounds that she could destroy. Of course they are all the same to her. All she knew is that she had permission to destroy. The kids didn't remember this until I gently reminded them.

1 comment:

Christina said...

What a fun story! Though, I do admit if that happened when we were with you I would have completely freaked out...so your keeping your cool impresses me greatly :)