Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hoop Time



Simon LOVES to play basketball. He really wanted a b-ball standard for our house. He kept asking Allen and I to get one...unfortunately they were not really in our budget.

I looked at garage sales for about a year but couldn't find anything that wasn't a total piece of junk - for free - which was my price range. We finally settled on a solution. The kids get $1 a week for allowance (yes - we are cheap). Around September I suggested to Simon that he find a sibling that was also interested in buying a b-ball standard and see if they could save together to get one. Now you may think that would take FOREVER - but - at this point I hadn't paid out the allowance all year. So...Simon talked Oliver in to putting his money towards the b-ball standard.

Black Friday presented the perfect opportunity to purchase a standard at a good price - although it was WAY more than the free I had originally been looking for... Although we purchased it the boys had to wait another whole month before they finally had accrued enough $ to pay for it - and we didn't take it out of the box until they paid for it.

The kids were so excited!!!! The best part was how proud Simon and Oliver were of their new "toy". I was proud of how Simon saved his measly $1 for months to work toward a goal he wanted to achieve. And I was very glad that Oliver decided to be a part of it - otherwise Simon would still be saving...

A little side note: Poor dad was the one who had to assemble the thing...in the freezing cold...in the dark...so the boys could get in some hoop time before bed. He was very nice.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: