Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's a Race!

Yesterday I challenged the kids to a reading race. They love to read and are pretty fast - although I am suspicious they skip over less-interesting parts.

We are now in a race to read the Book of Mormon. We read individually.
We have 3 rules:
1 - read as much or as little as you want each day, but read each day.
2 - no skipping parts
3 - be honest

I thought I would need to take it slow so I wouldn't discourage them - as I assumed I would be able to get WAY ahead. However, this weekend seems to have proved me wrong.

Katrina and Abagail have spent most free time reading, they are both in 2 Nephi already. Gabriel discovered this and got busy.

Simon and Oliver are doing a modified challenge. Simon was already on chapter 1 Nephi 12. His challenge is to see how much he can read before we all finish. Oliver is going to read a few verses from each chapter with me.

All the kids have charts to help them track their progress. We plan to celebrate with a family party when we are finished.

We are all off to a running start...now mom has to catch up!

2 comments:

DIY Party Mom said...

What an awesome idea! Way to go.

Christina said...

That is impressive! Isn't it nice to have kids who love to read?