Sunday, May 17, 2009

Guadalupe River State Park Campout

Our school was one of the Texas districts to close for the swine flu. Church services were also cancelled for the weekend.
So Allen and I joined some friends and took the kids camping.
We found this really nice state park about an hour from us. The setting was cool - kind of hard to tell from the photo though.
We played at the river Saturday and had a family church "meeting" on Sunday. (More like a family home evening.)
I did decide that if we ever camp on Sunday again we would not set up or take down that day - the kids commented on how it didn't feel much like a Sunday, I agreed.





Allen, our friends, and I stayed up late playing games at the picnic table. We were stalked by the raccoons. They wouldn't leave our camp alone. They were pretty bold about coming up to the light too. We couldn't figure out what was so attractive about our camp. Then it dawned on me...never dump hot dog water near a tree...2 feet from the campsite.


We all brought fishing gear. Although I don't know what we would have done if we would have caught anything...neither Allen nor myself have ever gutted or fried up a fish. Catch and release? Seems pretty cruel to me. As it was the fish weren't biting that day. The kids had fun practicing casting though.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: