Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Change in the Air...


As I stepped out the front door this morning to head to church I instantly felt it - a change in the air. The wind was blustery...but it wasn't a hot, dry summer wind. Leaves were blowing around making that skittering sound as they rolled across the pavement. It felt so very much like AUTUMN!!!

Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year - always has been. Since moving to Texas I kind of gave up a traditional Fall - one that starts sometime in September and has crisp mornings, blustery days filled with filtered sunshine, change of leaves and that "something" that enters the air to let you know that Fall has arrived. Here we usually stay at near summer temps through Sept and then enter what other people experience in the summer for October and into November. Then we get about two weeks of Autumn before "winter" hits. Two weeks. That is about it. In that two weeks the leaves turn colors - some dull, some brilliant - they fall, and then it is done.

Now I know that wonderful Autumn feeling I felt won't last. It will probably be gone by tomorrow. And the leaves that were swirling around were not due to a change in season - rather they were the result of a strong wind blowing after a serious drought has dried everything up.

But for today it was heavenly and I took time to thoroughly enjoy it.

Aaaaahhhhhhh...... :)

3 comments:

Stacey C. said...

I know your pain. The hot weather in Vegas makes me want to cry sometimes. Sigh. Maybe someday I'll experience beautiful fall weather again!

Christina said...

I love how you describe fall...now when it gets hot you can go back and read this post and maybe remember how it felt! :)

Jen said...

Ok - so there is irony to this post - massive irony.

As I was basking in the beautiful, blustery weather friends and whole communities 40 miles east of me were singing a different tune. Unknown to me, those very winds that I loved so much were fueling a massive and devistating forest fire that raged out of control and took weeks to subdue. Homes were lost, jobs and health threatened, and 75% of our beloved National Park was burned.

Puts a bit of a damper on my post. Maybe I'll have to do one about the ferocious thunderstorm we had two days ago. I don't think it caused any trauma and it was amazing. :)