Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grub Club

I have a new job - and it is so much fun!

A friend who owns a local dance studio started the Grub Club for her kids - and others - to have fun learning / practicing cooking skills. She emailed me one day asking if I would be interested in teaching the class.

So each week in August I had the chance to teach kids to cook. It was a big family effort to make this happen. Abagail was my assistant. Katrina was my babysitter. Simon and Oliver attended class with me. Gabriel hung out at the library or various spots in town - enjoying a bit of freedom.



These are a few pics of my kids at the Grub Club. We made all kinds of stuff. My kids said the best part was having to practice all the recipes each week so that I could get them down for class.

Starting in September I get to do a "Mommy and Me" class once a week for moms and their pre-school aged kids. Amelia will be my demo assistant for that one. I'll also be doing a Saturday class for ages 5-12 once a month. Hopefully starting in October I'll be going into some private pre-schools in town to do classes twice a month. That plan is still in the works. I am actually really excited about this. It goes really well with my education / career plans that I have started working on.....

For those I haven't told - I start school tomorrow for a new focus in my life. I am going for an Associate of Science in Biology Nutrition. I will be online for a couple of years - yes, years - so that I can be home with Amelia and Joshua. Then I'll have to finish on campus. My goal is to complete the associates and then transfer to Texas State and get a Bachelors in Nutrition - to be a Registered Dietitian. I don't know if I'll ever make it that far - but that is the plan.

So this Grub Club is kind of a way to practice - I try to keep the recipes healthy, fun, and tasty. And while we prepare recipes we talk about good food choices vs bad food choices. It is very part time - about 6-8 classes per month - but I enjoy the prep and classes.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Stacey C. said...

I would love to get some of your recipes (and maybe tips on helping Ben not kill himself in the kitchen!) Lately Ben has been really interested in helping me cook, but I'm not very good at letting him help ;) I think it would be pretty good "therapy" for him right now.