Why is it that rules only become understandable when they are broken? - And the person breaking the rule is CAUGHT...
Take for instance my rule of no kicking/throwing objects in the house...like a soccer ball. For some reason my daughters, ages 13 & 11 apparently saw no reason for this rule. Therefore, they commenced this activity. Of course they never expected me to find out about their game, as I was upstairs feeding the baby at the time. Unfortunately, a tremendous crash followed by the sound of breaking glass clued me in to the idea that perhaps my children were up to something that was clearly AGAINST THE RULES.
Of course they were sorry...they are ALWAYS sorry. Of course they didn't mean to break anything - they never MEAN to break things. Of course they tried to lay blame on others, "It wasn't my fault...I didn't kick it" or "It wasn't my fault...I didn't MEAN to kick it at the chandelier" or "Well, it was Oliver's fault too...he was playing with us." Of course they didn't like my take on the situation: Everyone who was playing was at fault - you ALL knew it was wrong. (Although I did get after the older girls a bit more than the six-year-old.)
Next example: Don't slide down the banister. Especially when your two-year-old sister is watching... I guess it isn't a big deal...unless you are CAUGHT! The "guilty-oops" look is a classic in our house. Quickly followed by some lame excuse.
Another frequent example: No gum chewing in the house...or car...or church. That leaves only outside. Yet they always ask to buy gum...where are they going to chew it? So at least once a week I am speaking with a child when I stop mid-sentence and ask, "Are you chewing gum in the house?" Or perhaps I spy gum stuck on the side of their dinner plate...eww...and dare to ask why it is there when they are NOT allowed to chew gum in the house. This is followed by a sheepish grin and another lame excuse on why they thought it would be ok. Which I guess it would have been if I hadn't CAUGHT them. And no, I do not buy it for them...I assume it comes from other well-meaning sources.
Then we have the "No eating outside the kitchen rule". Yeah right. In my dreams this might be a reality. The kids walk around blissfully snacking until they run into me...then it's the famous "busted" expression and usually an "I forgot". I sometimes get a bit fed up and whatever they are snacking on goes right in the trash. Other times I am too nice. I'm sure the gamble makes it worth the risk. More often than not I usually catch them by finding the evidence they leave behind. Trash or half-eaten food in their room, crumbs or spills on the carpet, etc. Occasionally I am treated to the "Well, someone else must have put it there to try to get me in trouble" - that one amazes me the most.
And the list goes ON and ON!
- Don't stand or jump on or off of the furniture
- Don't come into my bathroom without knocking
- Please don't potty on the bathroom floor, AIM
- When you make a mess or spill something, clean it up
- If your shoes are caked with mud please take them off BEFORE stepping on the carpet
...and on and on...
So why all this venting? Christmas vacation - kids have been home for a couple of weeks and, although I love them dearly, my hope...my wish...my desire is for them to try a LITTLE harder to follow those seemingly pointless rules. (Yes, even when I am not looking.)
Chicken taquitos
14 years ago

2 comments:
Ah thanks we needed a good laugh, sorry your kids are so "forgetful" but you made Brian and I feel a bit more normal knowing it must just run in their blood.
I have one more for you Marilee...
Rule: Don't sit, stand, or climb on the counters. If you can't reach get a chair or ask for help.
Scenerio: Purchased ceramic mugs for teachers gifts - filled them with hot cocoa mix and peppermints. (Cheap idea but we are on a budget.) They were prepped and put into a plastic bag on the counter so the kids could wrap them the next day. Again...I'm feeding the baby and hear a big "crash" accompanied by the sound of breaking glass. Of course I knew what had happened. Oliver was climbing on the counter to get a cup. The bag was in his way so he pushed it off the counter, probably an accident but still what happened. How could I have known that? He does it ALL the time. With mail, or cups, or anything that may be on the counter.
Hence one of the reasons for the rule.
Post a Comment