The ballet was held in this beautiful old Auditorium. It was a very cool place; very classy. We heard that renovation is about to take place that would update the interior...probably good for those actually having to use it but sad for the loss of history. It was kind of cool to be able to attend while the auditorium was still in it's original state.
Katrina and Abagail posing in front of the Municipal Auditorium in downtown San Antonio. Abagail is hamming it up as a "Cinderella Stepsister".
The activity was part of a Girl Scout event. As it was Halloween, the scouts were encouraged to dress up as their favorite Cinderella character. Katrina and Abagail decided that the three of us would go as the Stepmother and two Stepsisters. Abagail was Anastasia and Katrina was Drizella (if that's how you spell it).
The funny thing was that the only other person dressed up was a little girl about 6-years-old, she dressed as Cinderella - and she was in a readily identifiable Disney costume.
The girls and I dressed up in clothes that we had borrowed from Grandma for Halloween costumes...but they were real clothes that Lysa and I had worn as children. They didn't look exactly like costumes. My dress was a long, blue dress that I haven't worn since Gabriel was a baby - mostly because it is NOT in style now. I'm sure I will not be wearing it again since I had to seriously suck it in to get the poor dress zipped. Hey - it's been a few years. (Note for Lysa: it was your dress that you wore in the family photo we took when I was a HS senior - the one with a toddler Laine sitting on Mom's lap.)
We got some very confused/amused looks. I think people were trying to decide if we had dressed up as characters or if these clothes were our way of dressing up respectfully for the ballet - and we had a WAY out of date sense of style. Abagial and Katrina had asked me to spray-color their hair. Abagail had a shade of red; Katrina had a bit of black sprayed in. Hopefully that tipped people off. :)
Abagail and Katrina posing in front of the stage. It was such a BEAUTIFUL ballet. I was so impressed with the set, costumes, make-up, and of course the dancing.
Funny though, the girls were not used to such a formal setting. They thought it was kind of long.
Posing with one of the stepsisters.
The girls were able to go backstage prior to the show and watch the ballerinas warming up. They were also treated to an autograph session post show. One surprising note: this ballet did not contain a stepmother. (So much for my "costume") But we got a photo of the Father with the Stepsisters - close enough.


1 comment:
That is really really neat. And I am very impressed that you can fit into a dress that you fit into when Gabe was little, even if you had to suck it in a little, you still got it on and that is awesome! But what an experience! Love the building too!
Post a Comment